AbiWord is a free word processing program similar to Microsoft® Word. It is suitable for a wide variety of word processing tasks.
AbiWord is unique among word processors in its drive to become a fully cross-platform word processor.
- Familiar interface
- Outstanding file import and export, with support for MS Word, WordPerfect, and more
- Unlimited undo and redo capacity
- Solid (X)HTML export, with CSS styles support
- Spelling support, with optional underlining
- Bullets and Lists
- StylesThis application acts like a word processor, broadly similar to Microsoft Word. What makes it different is the capability to support all kinds of document formats created with MS Word, WordPerfect, Rich Text Format, as well as HTML or web pages.
At first glance, AbiWord looks like an ordinary word processing software, with toolbars, rulers, drop-down menus, and a large workspace for text formatting. However, a closer exploration reveals features which are not available with other similar tools. For instance, a new document can be edited with a classic layout, or you can make use of templates. Thus, if you need to write different types of letters, reports, memos, press releases, or any other documents requiring a standard form, this app will help you accomplish the task.
As I already mentioned above, the program supports a variety of text formats. This way, you can import documents with different file extensions, process the data with the tools provided by the app, and save the result in whatever text format you desire.
Another great feature refers to sharing files. In this regard, you have an ability to store documents on AbiCollab.net web service; people with an active account can view your files and even work on the same document simultaneously.
In conclusion, this utility is a great asset to anyone having to deal with word processing. Besides offering ordinary text formatting features, AbiWord eases your work by providing patterns for documents that need to comply with standard forms. Since other users may not have the proper tool to open files bearing the default .abw extension, it is advisable to save your files to other popular text formats.
- It supports all kinds of document formats
- It provides text editing templates
- It stores documents on AbiCollab.net web service
- You can share documents
- The default .abw extension is not very common among text editors